RECS members discuss the future of RECS certificates
RECS International board members have discussed the future of the voluntary RECS certificates at their meeting in Milan on Friday December 7, 2012.
RECS International has encouraged the phasing-out of RECS certificates for more than two years. The RECS organization has always been in favor of official GO tracking systems as the best tool to protect the consumer against false electricity claims. Most recently in a letter to The European Concerted Action Working Group on July 2nd, 2012, RECS International wrote:
“RECS International wishes to declare that a standardized GO, for all of Europe, is the only reliable tracking system. We request the abolishment of RECS certificates by replacing them with the internationally recognized and highly reliable Guarantee of Origin Certificate standardized by EECS.”
The focus of RECS International has always been on the effective and reliable international trade of electricity attributes/products. The RECS board members believe that the voluntary RECS certificate, created more than 10 years ago by RECS International, can slowly be phased-out in place of the EU-mandated, national Guarantee of Origin System standardized by the European Energy Certificate System (EECS System).
The Association of Issuing Bodies (AIB) provided a proposal for the phasing-out of RECS certificates during a Joint meeting on December 6th, 2012. The proposal from the AIB requested that RECS certificates would no longer be issued by AIB connected registries after the 31st of December 2014. The RECS certificates would remain available for transfer and trade via the AIB hub until the 1st of January 2016.
The RECS Board reacted positively to the proposal of the AIB. This will be discussed further during the General meeting of RECS International in Berlin, Germany on March 19th 2013.
To read the full letter from RECS International to the Concerted Action working group on July 2nd, 2012 click here
- Agenda seminar Renewables Good Practice (ReGP) in London, 26 September 2017
- Agenda seminar on development of REC/GO markets in the UK and internationally, London 25 September 2017
- Agenda workshop "Consuming renewables in Japan" (Japanese version)
- Agenda workshop "Consuming renewables in Japan" (English version)
- MiFID II Webinar Slides
- Agenda Involving Consumers in the Energy Transition
- RECS Magazine - The rise of the corporate consumer
- RECS International Annual Report 2015
- RECS Magazine - Encouraging demand-side action to influence production-side change
- Launch of the GHG Protocol Scope 2 Guidance Report
- Happy Holidays from RECS International
- The RECS Market Meeting 2015